Yum!! This recipe is hearty and delicious, not to mention healthy, easy, and high in protein. I enjoyed it from a bowl and my husband wrapped it up into a burrito by using a large tortilla. I hope you enjoy this as much as we did! Recipe make approx. 6 servings
- 500g extra lean ground turkey
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 1 bell pepper chopped into bite size pieces
- 2 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped zucchini (or 2 stalks celery)
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup white rice (or any kind of rice that cooks in 30 mins or less)
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes OR the equivalent in salsa
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp each garlic powder and seasoning salt
- 2 cans black beans (or sub in one can of kidney beans)
1. In a large pot on medium high heat, add olive oil and brown turkey meat. Top with chopped veggies and stir occasionally until they begin to soften and smell fragrant.
2. Add water, rice and remaining ingredients. Stir to fully combine, then cover and turn down to medium/low heat. Allow contents to simmer for approx 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked through. Keep an attentive eye on the pot, you may need to add more water if it begins to stick/burn. Total cook time varies depending on the type of rice you choose.
Top with shredded cheese, a dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream, sliced avocado, or fresh cilantro. Enjoy!!